Welcome to The Warming House! I am an imperfect wife and mother who is captivated by her family, and enraptured with the irresistible character of God. Our home has a revolving door that spins around almost 24/7. We love hosting many friends, family members, and college students on a regular basis.
I believe in compassion, the reality of God, that integrity matters, that families are worth fighting for, that every person deserves someone who believes in them, and that God works the most amazing miracles in the human heart. I am an advocate for the “outcast,” suffering, and forgotten; and revel in connecting people with the heart of God.
I have often felt that I don’t fit the mold of your typical Christian woman. I’m not especially crafty, can’t sew anything but buttons, don’t get my nails done very often (not that a lot of Christian women do), and am not quiet or subdued.
I am a survivor and an extremely passionate person – especially about God and what he has done in my life through Jesus Christ.
- I really love ziplining. If it weren’t so expensive, I would do it more often.
- My favorite snack is natural peanut butter mixed with chocolate chips.
- My dream home would be a log cabin in the mountains.
- I once preached at a church in Russia – with a translator, of course.
- My favorite hot drink is a chai latte. Don’t drink coffee.
- In my younger years I was an avid soccer player.
- Favorite smells: Fresh cut grass, wood-burning fireplace, sugar cookie candles, freshly-bathed babies, the smell of the air just before it rains.
- If you looked under my bed right now, you would find tubs of old clothes and memorabilia.
- Favorite sounds: Crickets chirping/frogs croaking on a summer night; the ocean surf; the voices of my family.
Is this blog for you?
This blog is for you if you want a stronger family, a more intimate relationship with God, and want to live a life that influences the world in a positive way. My goal is to provide content that helps you build a healthy family, create a home that’s a sanctuary, live a noble and honorable life, and love God passionately – with your heart and your mind. My ultimate desire is that God will use the content on this site to: show you your significance, wrap you up in his love, preserve you with his truth, heal your wounds, deepen your commitment to him and to your family, and mobilize you to live for his purposes in the world everyday.
What do I write about?
- The character of God/Jesus Christ
- God’s story in the Bible
- Home & Family
- Christian life & ministry
- Some random stuff too!
To make sure you don’t miss my newest posts, you can subscribe via RSS or email. (See top right corner of my sidebar.)
If you are new to my site, you might want to start with my most popular posts. Here are the top posts in each category:
KnowingGod, Biblical Truth, Christian Life
Authentic Compassion, Culture, Ministry
Home and Family
Check my blog’s archives for a list of every post I have written or use the search button to find other posts that feed your interests.
I grew up in a very unstable home and exited childhood with a lot of baggage, pain, and negative self-esteem (below where “X” meets “Y” on the axis). When I became a Christian, I had no idea what a relationship with God looked like – or that I could even have an intimate daily relationship with Him. The Bible was foreign and intimidating to me and there was no one to mentor me. In my damaged state I made a lot of terrible choices. God is loving, compassionate, and merciful. He has healed my wounds 100% and has absolutely forgiven my despicable sins.
God is also full of grace and surprises. He has graciously allowed me to be a part of what He is doing in this world despite my past.
He compelled me to serve at a large metropolitan church in the following ways:
- Director of Sending Ministries (Missions)
- Director of Children’s Ministries
- Speaker/teacher at our Saturday night worship service
- Recommended as a candidate for pastoring school in our denomination (After prayer and considering the needs of my family, I chose to take a different path with the idea to reconsider and possibly pursue this again at some point in the future when my children were older.)
Since that time I have:
- Written a book
- Worked as a public speaker
- Traveled the word in missions (and for fun) – Israel, Mozambique, Zambia, South Africa, Uganda, Russia, London, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska . . .
- Volunteered with many organizations and ministries
- Ministered to lots of college students (LOVE it!!)
- Attended and graduated (2012) from the Kanakuk Institute – a program that provides extensive Biblical training and equipping for recent college graduates. (My husband and I were the first “older” people to attend. It was one of the best years of my life!)
- Tended to the greatest ministry of all – my “domestic” ministry here at home!
I Am Currently
- Working on a book that’s all about Christian compassion
- Getting back into public speaking
- Praying and looking for a position in vocational ministry
Here’s How You Can Contact Me
Check It Out
Very little of what you read on Christian internet blogs lines up with Biblical truth. It is extremely important to me to make sure that everything I teach or say on this site (in reference to God) lines up with what He says. However, I am not perfect. Although I have studied at great length, I will never know all there is to know so PLEASE check what I say against scripture. Thanks!